Free if you meet the eligibility criteria (click here for details) and if you complete the course (click here for details of our terms and conditions)
The Level 1 Certificate in Digital Skills is a competency and knowledge based qualification This course will provide opportunities to acquire a number of practical skills in applying digital skills in personal and business situations. This course introduces you to the use of digital resources to facilitate own learning and career progression such as how to maintain safety and security when using data and devices, find and use information and communicate socially and professionally using technology.
Who is the course suitable for?
This qualification is designed for those who want to learn how to apply digital skills in personal and business situations. It will be particularly valuable to those who use word processing software to create straightforward text and documents.
You do not need to have any formal qualifications in order to follow this course, but you will need to demonstrate commitment and motivation to work through the specially prepared distance-learning materials. The learner must live in England and be over 19 years of age.
How is the course delivered?
Candidates work through an online platform, so there is no need to attend the college to gain the qualification. The learning materials contain the knowledge needed to meet the assessment requirements of the course and activities to allow candidates to practice their skills and test their learning. Assessments are based on a combination of knowledge and skills learned on the programme and work-based activities and experience. Learners should complete the course within 6 weeks.
The course consists of two modules and will cover the following areas:
- Identify and select information and resources to meet personal and organisational needs including how to use search engine to find information and web browser bookmark functions to store links to web pages
- Identify safety and security when using data and digital devices and identifying possible threats to ICT systems and data, and how to protect against them
- Communicating and collaborating online
- Know how to communicate effectively via email in a personal or business context to communicate and collaborate using digital networks
- Using word processing software
- Be able to enter, edit and combine text and other information accurately within word processing documents
- Be able to edit and structure information within word processing documents
- Operate a personal computer or laptop
- Understand how to connect to the internet
- Identify types of online accounts that can be created
The qualification is part of our bespoke Business Start Up and Retail Knowledge programme, including Data protection, Money Management and Customer service. We can arrange a combination of subject as a package specifically for you and your organisation.
Course Number (please note for application form): JS200